Semič received its voluntary fire brigade on November 15, 1894. The president of the founding committee was the dean Anton Aleš, the first commander Anton Sebahar, and the long-time secretary of the society the superintendent Bartel.
They were also engaged in public education work: they had their own acting group, they organized singing performances and participated in all important events in our town. Firefighting tools were kept in a shed at the Semič fairgrounds.
In 1935, firefighters began preparations for the construction of a fire station, and the grand opening was on August 22, 1937. The new fire station served them for 52 years. Firefighters contributed a great deal of volunteer work to the construction of the home, and the money was raised through the organization of festivities, the sale of wine, and the collection of voluntary contributions and materials. The carpentry work was done by carpenter Martin Judnič from Omota, and the masonry work was done by craftsmen Henigsman, Mekiš and Florjančič.
After the construction of the modern fire station in 1989, the old one served various purposes, including events during the resounding Semič carnivals. For the last decade, it has housed a pharmacy and a restaurant in the basement.